What’s a bibliography? It is a list of sources that you used in getting information for your project. You will find it easier to do the final bibliography, especially if you are able to monitor the sources, references or books you have used in your research. And writing an annotated bibliography can be quite hard, since the format differs depending on the source. So let’s break it down for you.
- For a book: Author (surname first). Title of the book. City: Publisher, Publication date. (Smith, John. The ACD. New York: Straus, Giroux and Farrar, 2004.)
- For an encyclopedia: Encyclopedia Title, Edition Date. Volume Number, “Article Title,” page numbers. (The Encyclopedia, 2001. Volume 6, “Monkeys,” pp. 45-46.)
- For a magazine: Author (surname first), “Article Title.” Name of the magazine. Volume number, (Date): page numbers. (Smith, Jordan, “ Top of the World.” Science Magazine Museum. Volume 56, No. 2, (Winter 1999): pp. 12.)
- For a newspaper: Author (surname first), “Article Title.” Name of the newspaper, city, state of publication. (date): edition if available, section, page number(s). (Powers, Mike, “Tune for Material Girl.” New York Times, New York, NY. (2/2/99): Atlantic Region, Section 4, p. 67.)
- For a person: Complete name (last name first). Occupation. Date of the interview. (Smith, John. Taxi Driver. March 2, 1998.)
- For a film: Title, Director, Distributor, Year. (Heart, Dir. John Tower, Company Productions, 1997.)
- CD-ROM: Disc title: Version, Date. “Article title,” pages if given. Publisher. (ANC Multimedia Encyclopedia: Latest version, 2008. “ Civil rights movement,” p.4. ABC Newsmedia.)
- Magazine article: Author (surname first). “Article title.” Name of the magazine (type of the medium). Volume number, (Date): page numbers. If available: publisher of the medium, version, date of the issue. (Smith, Jake. “Madness.”Stuff Sport (CD-ROM). Number 6, (March 1998: pp. 10-20. SIRS, desktop version, Winter 1998.)
Knowing the proper format of bibliography is important that is why you need to memorize it to avoid mistakes.
Check out our AnnotatedBibliographyWriting.net for quality formatted annotated bibliography in only a few steps today!